The Samaritan Medical Center Auxiliary is an organization of approximately 150 men and women dedicated to serving the needs of Samaritan Medical Center, Samaritan Keep Home and Samaritan Summit Village. The Auxiliary has proudly served these institutions since 1896 and has been a major contributor of volunteer time and financial resources to the hospital and nursing homes. The Auxiliary manages and operates the gift shops at all three locations, as well as the Starbucks coffee shop in the main lobby of Samaritan Medical Center.
The gift shops, Starbucks, exclusive fundraisers and Auxiliary membership dollars contribute to the success of the Auxiliary. Popular events such as ‘One Night, One Diamond‘ have been tremendously successful, as well as book sales, uniform sales, and more.
Watch the 2021 One Night, One Diamond Virtual Event
In 2010, the Auxiliary pledged $750,000 dollars to the Capital Campaign, “Advancing Healthcare – Close to Home,” which helped build a new addition to the main hospital. In 2012, the Auxiliary helped purchase a new security system called ‘HUGS’ for the new Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU), Maternity Place and Pediatric Unit. Most recently, in 2018, the Auxiliary proudly sponsored the new Walker Center for Cancer Care with a $500,000 gift.
No matter which project we support, we are here to enhance the care of our patients and residents.
Samaritan Auxiliary 2020 Highlights:
- 2020 One Night, One Diamond proceeds purchased equipment necessary to perform Mohs Surgery at Samaritan. This equipment makes it possible for our patients to be treated locally for their skin cancer with a specialized, tissue-preserving technique, instead of having to travel outside the region. Mohs surgery is a precise surgical technique that offers the highest skin cancer cure rate available. Additionally, due to the pandemic, the need was identified for another UV light to kill bacteria and viruses as an adjuvant to terminal cleaning of patient rooms after discharge, and the additional funds were used to purchase a Chlorox Optimum-UV light. This would not have been possible without the incredible commitment and generosity of our sponsors, donors, and ticket holders that committed their support, even after the event had to be cancelled as the coronavirus crisis erupted in March 2020.
- Our gift shops, Starbucks, and Uniform Sales profits allowed us to purchase two handheld Ultrasound Dopplers for Interventional Radiology, and also an ABI machine that screens patients’ vascular status to assess circulation for use at the Samaritan Wound Care Center.
- Supported five Uniform Sales for Samaritan staff throughout the year.
- Managed the Auxiliary Gift Shops at SMC, SKH, SSV, and Starbucks Coffee Shop until we needed to close them in March due to the pandemic.
- Provided two $1500 scholarships to Samaritan employees to further their education.
- Continued our community advocacy programs in Jefferson County with the WHALE (We Have A Little Emergency) child safety seat ID program and That’s Using Your Head, a helmet ID safety program, in conjunction with our Kinney Drugs Foundation partner and 7News/Fox28/MeTV North Country media partner.
The Samaritan Auxiliary Board
Shawna Cutuli – President
Melissa Schmitt – Vice President
Irene Carman – Secretary
Maryann Rondon – Treasurer
Berline Dodard – Immediate Past President
Jessica Piatt Walczyk
How To Become A Member
Becoming a member of the Auxiliary is a simple way to become invested in the healthcare of our region. Samaritan Auxiliary membership is easy to do and offers benefits, such as a 10% discount in the gift shop and attendance to the annual meeting in May. Our memberships include a monetary donation, as well as the gift of your time.
- $200 – Lifetime Member fee
- $15 – Annual Regular Membership
- $5 – Annual Senior Membership
- Simply giving your time to volunteer makes you a member of the Auxiliary. Learn more about becoming a volunteer.
If you are interested in becoming a member, please fill out the form below and then mail a check made payable to “The Samaritan Auxiliary” to:
43000 County Route 100
Wellesley Island, NY 13640
Attn: Samaritan Auxiliary