The Samaritan Auxiliary is an organization dedicated to serving the needs of Samaritan Medical Center, Samaritan Keep Home, Samaritan Summit Village, and all entities. The Auxiliary has proudly served these institutions since 1896 and has been a major contributor of volunteer time and financial resources to the hospital and nursing homes. The Auxiliary manages and operates gift shops at Samaritan Medical Center and Samaritan Summit Village, as well as the Starbucks coffee shop in the main lobby of the Medical Center.
The gift shops and coffee shop, exclusive fundraisers and Auxiliary membership dollars contribute to the success of the Auxiliary. Popular events such as ‘One Night, One Diamond‘ have been tremendously successful, as well as uniform sales and more.
In 2010, the Auxiliary pledged $750,000 dollars to the Capital Campaign, “Advancing Healthcare—Close to Home,” which helped build a new addition to the main hospital. Most recently, in 2018, the Auxiliary proudly made a pledge to the Capital Campaign toward the new Walker Center for Cancer Care, with a $500,000 gift.
No matter which project we support, we are here to enhance the care of our patients and residents.
Samaritan Auxiliary Highlights:
- The 2021 Virtual One Night, One Diamond proceeds raised $83,675 for the purchase of personal protective equipment (PPE) for all staff of Samaritan Health. This was possible due to the unwavering commitment and generosity of our sponsors and donors.
- 2020 One Night, One Diamond proceeds purchased equipment necessary to perform Mohs Surgery at Samaritan. This equipment makes it possible for our patients to be treated locally for their skin cancer with a specialized, tissue-preserving technique, instead of having to travel outside the region. Mohs surgery is a precise surgical technique that offers the highest skin cancer cure rate available. Additionally, due to the pandemic, the need was identified for another UV light to kill bacteria and viruses as an adjuvant to terminal cleaning of patient rooms after discharge, and the additional funds were used to purchase a Chlorox Optimum-UV light. This would not have been possible without the incredible commitment and generosity of our sponsors, donors, and ticket holders that committed their support, even after the event had to be cancelled as the coronavirus crisis erupted in March 2020.
- In 2020, our gift shops, Starbucks, and Uniform Sales profits allowed us to purchase two handheld Ultrasound Dopplers for Interventional Radiology, and also an ABI machine that screens patients’ vascular status to assess circulation for use at the Samaritan Wound Care Center.
- Supported five Uniform Sales for Samaritan staff throughout the year.
- Managed the Auxiliary Gift Shops at SMC and SSV, and the Starbucks Coffee Shop. The shops were gradually reopened in 2021 after being shuttered for a year since March 2020.
- Provided two $1500 scholarships to Samaritan employees to further their education in 2019 and plan to resume these awards in 2022.
- Continued our community advocacy programs in Jefferson County with the WHALE (We Have A Little Emergency) child safety seat ID program and That’s Using Your Head, a helmet ID safety program, in conjunction with our Kinney Drugs Foundation partner and 7News/Fox28/MeTV North Country media partner.
The Samaritan Auxiliary Board 2023-2024
President – Shawna Cutuli
Vice President –
Secretary – Jessica Piatt-Walczyk
Dylan Anne Pauly
How To Become A Member
Becoming a member of the Auxiliary is a simple way to become invested in the healthcare of our region. Samaritan Auxiliary membership is easy to do and offers benefits, such as a 10% discount in the gift shop and attendance to the annual meeting in May.
- $200 – Lifetime Member fee
- $15 – Annual Regular Membership
- $5 – Annual Senior Membership
If you are interested in becoming a member, please fill out the form below and then mail a check made payable to the “Samaritan Auxiliary” to:
43000 County Route 100
Wellesley Island, NY 13640
Attn: Samaritan Auxiliary