Volunteer Services extend and enhance the healthcare delivery system at Samaritan by creating a warm and friendly atmosphere for our patients, their families and our visitors. Samaritan would not be the community-centered facility we are without volunteers! Not only is volunteering a way to give back to your community and help others, it’s also a great way to develop new friendships, gain confidence, learn new skills, make professional contacts and give yourself a sense of purpose and well-being.
We currently have over 20 different areas at the hospital where volunteers are used on a daily basis at the information desk, plus more opportunities at Samaritan Keep Home and Samaritan Summit Village. There, volunteers assist with weekly outings, activities like baking and crafts, simple things like reading to a resident, or writing to a loved one on the resident’s behalf.
The Samaritan Auxiliary is another great way to get involved – with fundraising activities, joining the Board of Directors or serving on a committee.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
Samaritan Medical Center (Hospital) Close
Children’s Miracle Network
Whether you’re a working adult, retiree, high school or college student, you can help make miracles happen by improving the health and well-being of local children. Come join our Volunteer Program and make miracles with us! Volunteer opportunities include:
- Local/National events (Teens for Miracles Fashion Show, Maternity & Pediatric “Mommy & Me” Event, River Rat Triathlon, Malloween, Radiothon, Corporate Partner Events & Campaigns)
- Purchase a Miracle Balloon while shopping
- Say “thank you” to your cashier for supporting the children’s hospital
- Tune in and call in during the Radiothon (755-KIDS)
- Help us spread the word—share event info with friends, family and colleagues
Summer Teen Program
- Five weeks in July & August
- Three half days a week
- Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 8:00am to Noon
- Be able to play music and visit with family and residents of Samaritan Summit Village and Samaritan Keep Home
- Mealtime and evening hours preferred
- Weekdays 10:00am – 1:00pm, 1:00pm – 4:00pm and 4:00pm – 7:00pm
- Any weekday, morning or afternoons
- Help with filing, computer entry, making packets, etc.
- Assist with activities for our elderly patients
- Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am – 3:30pm
Samaritan Summit Village Close
- Monday through Friday 10:00am – 1:00pm or 1:00pm – 4:00pm and Saturday and Sunday from 11:30am – 3:30pm
Samaritan Keep Home Close
- Clerical skills and some computer work
- Hours would be Monday through Friday, 9:00am – 1:00pm
Volunteer Requirements and Expectations Close
Samaritan offers two general categories of volunteer opportunities:
- Patient/resident care and contact
- Clerical/office duties
Volunteers would need to complete the following steps before starting:
- Fill out an application
- Complete a health screening including a Tuberculosis Test as well as possible blood work (cost covered by the hospital)
- Complete a background check (covered by the hospital)
- Be willing to commit at least four hours per week to volunteer
- Attend a one-hour orientation with the director of volunteer services
Those interested in volunteering at Samaritan should have the following:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills and a friendly, helpful demeanor
- Be able to work effectively and positively with staff, patients and visitors
- Corrected hearing and vision to the normal range
- Ability to walk some distances, push a wheelchair and do light lifting
- Be able to accept direction and responsibility
- Enjoy meeting and interacting with the public
Volunteer Application Form
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Samaritan Health. Volunteer candidates must meet certain requirements before volunteering.
INTERVIEW: Volunteer candidates will complete an interview with the Manager of Volunteer Services to ensure a good fit for both the volunteer and the agency. At the completion of the interview, should we move forward, you will be given all necessary materials and appointments.
HEALTH SCREENING: Volunteer candidates are required to have a physical examination and receive clearance from Samaritan Health. Candidates must provide proof of all required vaccinations to Employee Health. As of September 2021, all Healthcare Personnel (HCP), including volunteers must have their COVID-19 vaccine. The Volunteer Department can assist you in making an appointment with our Employee Health Department or you can call yourself at 315-785-4452.
BACKGROUND SCREENING: Volunteer candidates are required to pass a background screening to ensure eligibility to volunteer in the healthcare setting. Reference checks are completed as part of the background screening.
EDUCATION: You will be given a packet with required learning to assist you with your volunteer duties and to ensure the safety of yourself and others.
ORIENTATION: This is an opportunity to familiarize yourself with the hospital, volunteer procedures and scheduling to begin your volunteer contributions!
If you have any questions, please contact the Manager of Volunteer Services at 315-785-4479.