Community Coronavirus Testing Site Now Operational
WATERTOWN, NY – The New York State Department of Health has approved Samaritan to open an appointment only, drive-up Testing Site for COVID-19. The site will open today, Thursday, March 19, 2020.
In order to visit the Testing Site, community members must follow these steps:
- Call the Samaritan Resource Line at (315) 755-3100 to be screened. The Resource Line is open 7 a.m. – 11 p.m., 7 days a week. There are a series of questions you will be asked.
- If the Registered Nurse on the Resource Line determines you need to be tested for COVID-19, you will have an appointment scheduled with an Appointment Coordinator. The Coordinator will pre-register you and collect demographic information.
- Once your appointment has been scheduled, you will visit the Testing Site located at 22567 Summit Drive, Building II, the back entrance. Please follow signs to the appropriate location (click to view aerial map) and follow the traffic pattern.
- Once you arrive at the testing site, signs will instruct you to keep your windows closed as you enter the Intake Tent. You will be instructed to hold your Identification up to the window so our Intake staff can validate your name and date of birth to check in for your appointment and automatically order the lab test.
- Once our intake staff have checked you in, you will be instructed to pull forward to the Testing Area, where our Testing staff will confirm the screening questions, then instruct the patient to roll down their window.
- Testing staff will swab you (nasal cavity) and provide you with home care instructions to perform while you wait on your testing results. The visit will then be over and you will be asked to drive away.
This entire process is done to minimize risks to healthcare workers and save on Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) needed to test patients. This model is very similar to others around the country.
Please note, this is a drive-up process, you will never leave your vehicle and this is not for walk-in traffic.
Visitor Restrictor Reminder:
Samaritan Medical Center, Summit Village and Keep Home are under strict visitor restrictions, with all allowable visitors will be screened and staff are being screened.