Breastfeeding Basics/Caring for New Families: November 2022
Starts at: 9:00 am
Ends at: 12:00 pm
Location: Online via Zoom
Everyone needs help and support as a new breastfeeding parent! Learn about breastfeeding before your baby is born. The class is taught by a Registered Nurse and an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant.
- Holding your baby skin-to-skin right after birth until has fed the first time
- Delaying common procedures until the first feeding is done
- Keeping your baby in your hospital room around the clock (rooming-in)
- Watching for your baby’s feeding cues (about 8-12 times per 24 hour day)
- How to get the best latch for your baby
- Breastfeeding positions
- Establishing a good supply
- Common challenges
- Community resources and a little about returning to work
Dads, partners and support persons are welcome and encouraged to attend!
Caring for New Families
You’ve been waiting for this day for months! Now you finally get to meet your new baby. Learn how to take care of yourself and your growing family. The class is taught by a Registered Nurse and certified breastfeeding specialist.
Families will learn about:
- The mother and baby department at Samaritan Medical Center
- How to care for yourself and your newborn baby
- Giving baby a bath, changing the diaper and how to care for the circumcision
- How to help when baby is crying
- How to keep baby safe
- When to call the doctor
- About the baby blues and postpartum depression
- And much more!
Classes are free. Call the Car-Freshner Center for Women and Children at 315-785-4050 for more information. The Breastfeeding Basics class is held in Conference Room 2A/2B.