Volunteer Services extend and enhance the healthcare delivery system at Samaritan. Volunteers help to create a warm and friendly atmosphere for our patients, their families and our visitors; Samaritan would not be the community-centered facility we are without volunteers. Plus, volunteering is good for your health! Not only are you giving back to your community and helping others, but you are improving yourself at the same time. Volunteering can: help you develop new friendships, gain confidence and learn new skills, make professional contacts, and give you a sense of purpose and well-being.
We currently have over 20 different areas at Samaritan where volunteers are used on a daily basis. Some examples at the hospital are the Information Desk, Patient Registration, the Emergency Department, Storeroom, and the Gift Shop. At the Samaritan Keep Home and Samaritan Summit Village, volunteers assist with weekly outings, activities like baking and crafts and simple things like reading to a resident, or writing to a loved one on the resident's behalf.
The Samaritan Auxiliary is another great way to get involved - with fundraising activities, joining the Board of Directors, or serving on a committee.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
Samaritan Medical Center (Hospital):
Gift Shop: Weekdays from 10:00 am to 1:00 pm, 1:00 to 4:00 pm and then from 4:00 to 7:00 pm.
Clerical Offices: Any weekday, morning or afternoons. Need help filing, computer entry, making packets and more.
Nursing floors: to assist with activities for our elderly patients. Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
Please contact Samaritan Medical Center Volunteer Director at 315-785-4479.
Samaritan Summit Village:
Gift Shop: Monday through Friday 10:00 am to 1:00 pm or 1:00 pm to 4:00pm and Saturday-Sunday from 11:30 am to 3:30 pm
Samaritan Keep Home:
Social Day Care: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 10 am - 3 pm.
There are several ways to get involved at both the Samaritan Keep and Summit Village - transporting residents to activities or a physical therapy appointment on campus, one on one visits with residents, mail and newspaper delivery and helping with resident outings such as trips with the residents for shopping or trips to the mall. There are many ways to get involved.
If you are interested in any volunteer opportunities, please contact Samaritan Health Volunteer Director at or use our Contact Us form to email us.
Volunteer Requirements and Expectations
Samaritan offers two general categories of volunteer opportunities:
- Patient/Resident care and contact
- Clerical/Office duties
Volunteers would need to complete the following steps before starting:
- Fill out an application
- Complete a health screening including a Tuberculosis Test as well as possible blood work (cost covered by the hospital)
- Complete a back ground check (covered by the hospital)
- Be willing to commit at least 4 hours per week to volunteer
- Attend a one hour orientation with the director of volunteer services
Those interested in volunteering at Samaritan should have the following:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills and a friendly helpful demeanor.
- Be able to work effectively and positively with staff, patients and visitors.
- Corrected hearing and vision to the normal range.
- Ability to walk some distances, push a wheelchair and do light lifting.
- Be able to accept direction and responsibility.
- Enjoy meeting and interacting with the public.
If you are interested in any volunteer opportunities, please contact Samaritan Health Volunteer Director at Contact Us form to email us.