Sleep Disorders Center
Located within Samaritan Medical Center, the Sleep Disorders Center of Northern New York specializes in diagnosing and treating sleep-related disorders. Chronic sleep problems like excessive snoring, insomnia, extreme daytime sleepiness or abnormal sleep movements can not only rob you of energy but also have a serious impact on your health, safety and quality of life.
While sleep labs only offer testing and treatment for breathing disorders such as sleep apnea, our comprehensive sleep center provides testing and treatment for more than 80 sleep disorders.
What conditions do you treat? Close
- Insomnia – not being able to fall asleep or stay asleep
- Irregular Sleeping Patterns – difficulty in finding an appropriate sleep/wake schedule
- Narcolepsy – a neurological disorder characterized by involuntary sleep attacks at inappropriate times, such as falling asleep at your desk or during a business meeting
- Restless Leg Syndrome – a neurological movement disorder characterized by an uncomfortable sensation in the legs that occurs most frequently late in the day or at night, especially when laying down
- Sleep Apnea – temporary interruptions of breathing, on and off all night; often accompanied by daytime sleepiness, high blood pressure, irritability and heavy snoring
- Recurring nightmares
- Teeth grinding
What treatments and procedures do you perform? Close
Overnight sleep studies
Overnight sleep studies are offered seven nights a week, with staffing provided by Registered Polysomnographic Technologists (RPSGTs) whose combined experience totals more than 50 years.
The Sleep Disorders Center of Northern New York is also one of just two American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) accredited sleep centers between Syracuse and Plattsburgh, meeting or exceeding national standards in areas such as testing procedures, patient safety and staff training. The Sleep Center provides a cozy, quiet atmosphere with many of the comforts of home. Each private room is equipped with a queen-sized bed, television and other amenities.
Home sleep testing
In addition to full in-lab service, the Sleep Disorders Center of Northern New York offers the possibility of Home Sleep Testing (HST) for some patients. HST is a reliable, fast and easy first step in diagnosing obstructive sleep apnea. It allows the patient to use home testing equipment provided by the Sleep Center after receiving thorough instruction from one of Samaritan’s registered technologists. The patient applies the sensors as instructed prior to going to sleep and the following morning returns the equipment to the Sleep Center for analysis. Your physician can determine if HST is an option for you.
Pediatric sleep testing
The Sleep Disorders Center is the only facility in the area to offer pediatric sleep testing. Dr. Melynne Youngblood is trained and certified to interpret pediatric sleep tests, allowing the Sleep Center to accept patients as young as eight (8) years old. Sleep disorders in children and adolescents can seriously affect their health, school performance and behavior. Pediatric sleep disorders can also complicate other medical conditions, such as epilepsy, autism, asthma and neuromuscular disorders.